Opening and Closing Dates: 8/9/2021 – 8/13/2021
Position Title: 2nd Assistant Engineer
Full Performance Level: XH-4742-08 (2nd Assistant Engineer)
Duty Location: Official Duty Station is the Motor Vessel Mississippi, position requires (non-TDY) travel with the Mississippi, shift work, and mandatory overtime.
Hourly Salary Range: $30.44 - $35.51
Work Schedule: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: Temporary Duty Travel is 5% of the time
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Responsibilities/Duties: Serves as a 2nd Assistant Engineer on the Motor Vessel Mississippi. The Mississippi is a towboat operating in inland waters of the US. Stands a shift watch and supervises the work of the crew on the shift composed of employees in any of several trade occupations including, marine machinery mechanics and electronic mechanics. Exercises responsibility for the operation, maintenance, and repair of all engine room and associated machinery, refrigerating, plumbing, heating and electric /electronic systems and attendant plant.
Schedule: During the work season all Mississippi crew members, including this position, work a 15 days on/6 days off schedule, with the work period beginning and ending on Wednesdays. On the 15 workdays, employees remain on the Mississippi and are provided meals and lodging. This position works a 12 hour shift, and may rotate between day and night shifts. During the non-work season, the crew works day shift only, with the vessel based at Ensley Engineer Yard, Memphis, TN, on either a 5-day/8-hour or 4-day/10-hr schedule. During the work season, the Mississippi will work in widespread locations in the Mississippi River.
Qualifications Requirements: Selectee(s) must have a valid USCG license.
2nd Asst Engineer – Assistant Engineer Near Coastal 6300 Horsepower or greater and Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tankerman-PIC Barge class D or above within 12 months of entrance on duty.
Must pass physical exam and drug screening test if selected for position.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must meet suitability for Federal employment
- Physical and Drug Test required
- Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
- Personnel security investigation required
- Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities
- Lifting requirement is 50 lbs.
- Two-year probationary period is required.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume (preferably in .pdf format)
- Via Email: to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and copy Lauren.L.Beasley@usace.army.mil.
- Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Direct Hire of 2nd Asst Engineer, XH-4742-08, M/V Mississippi
- Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 8/13/2021
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not
contain resume will not be considered.
Disclaimer: You are about to provide person data. By completing this online application, you are authorizing the US Army Engineer Memphis District to use this data in the recruiting, application, and selection process