The Memphis District was responsible for constructing many of the protective floodwalls in this area? The top photo, taken on May 14, 1947, is a view of one of these floodwalls along the Wolf River then under construction. It shows crawler-type draglines driving steel sheet piling under the riverside edge of the wall. The Memphis Cotton Oil Mill is in the right background. The bottom photo, taken on Oct. 6, 1947, shows the completed floodwall. Sewer for plant waste passes over the wall (center of photo). The wall protects the industrial area in the background, including the cotton oil mill. From the Col. L.H. Foote photo collection.