The Corps of Engineers has a strong commitment to the Small Business Program. Our objective is to optimize business opportunities for the Small Business Community in federal acquisition programs sustaining the Memphis District's as a premier District within the Mississippi Valley Division.
Mission Statement: To sustain the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as a premier organization in developing small businesses and maximizing their opportunities to participate in our procurements, thereby ensuring a broad base of capable suppliers to support the Corps of Engineers mission and strengthen our Nation's economic development.
Responsibilities: Advise and assist contracting, program manager, and requirements personnel on all matters that affect small businesses, historically black colleges and universities or minority institutions, and labor surplus area concerns; aid, counsel, and assist small businesses (SB), small disadvantaged (SDB) and 8(a) businesses, service disabled veteran owned small businesses (SDVOSB), women owned small businesses (WOSB), historically under utilized small businesses(Hub-Zone) and historically black colleges and universities, and minority institutions (HBCU/MI) by providing:
• Advice concerning acquisition procedures;
• Information regarding proposed acquisitions;
• Instructions on preparation of proposals in the interpretation of standard clauses, representations, and certifications;
• Maintain an outreach program designed to locate and develop information on the technical competence of SB, SDB, 8(a), SDVOSB,WOSB, HUB-ZONE, and HBCU/MI;
• Ensure that financial assistance, available under existing regulations, is offered and also assist small businesses in obtaining payments under their contracts, late payments, interest penalties, or information on contract payment provisions;
• Provide assistance to contracting officers in determining the need for and the acceptability of subcontracting plans and assist administrative contracting officers in evaluating, monitoring, reviewing, and documenting contract performance to determine compliance with subcontracting plans;
• Recommend to the appointing authority the activity's small and disadvantaged business program goals, including goal assignments to subordinate contracting offices; monitor the activity's performance against these goals; and recommend action to correct reporting errors/deficiencies.