Memphis District Commander Col. Brian Sawser, district leadership, project delivery team members, and Project Partner Yazoo Mississippi Delta Levee Board, gathered for a ribbon cutting ceremony today, Nov. 15, 2022, to celebrate the completed Sherard Seepage Remediation Construction Project.
- Location: Coahoma County, Mississippi
- Contract Amount: $1,800,000
- Substantial Completion Date: Oct. 17, 2022
- Contractor: Syte Corporation
- Project Partner: Yazoo Mississippi Delta Levee Board
The Memphis District Mississippi River Levee System consists of 11 Systems and 27 Segments with a leveed area of 12,800 square miles, with the leveed area containing just under $30 Billion in infrastructure and agricultural assets.
- Scope: The team constructed three earthen berms (within an approximate 4-mile-long levee reach) located in Coahoma County, Mississippi, in Systems 21 – Segment 26 (Yazoo-Delta Levee) from stationing 84/4+00 to 89/0+10. The project required 41,500 CY of borrow material.
- Goals: The Sherard, MS Seepage Remediation Project will address issues observed during recent high-water events; specifically, seepage under the levee during elevated river levels.
- Benefits: The project will increase levee resiliency and reliability, providing further and greater protection for the agricultural lands and communities in Coahoma County, Mississippi.
Many thanks to the district’s partner on this project, the Yazoo Mississippi Delta Levee Board, for their unwavering support and assistance with the planning, coordination, and construction efforts that went into completing this project.
And congrats and many thanks to the Project Delivery Team Members for their hard work and dedication to seeing this project through to fruition: Matthew Widmer (Wynne Area Office QC) Kody Moore (Wynne Area Office QA), Ben Tatum (Technical Lead/Geotechnical Engineer), Josh Koontz (Environmental Representative), Chase Kesner (Civil Engineer), Robert Gambill (Hydraulics & Hydrology Engineer), Judy Stallion (Contracting Specialist), Tamara Richard (Program Analyst), Max Gomez-Pedro (Cost Engineer), Del Warfield (Construction Representative), Brian Johnson & Clayton Burford (Real Estate Specialists), and last but certainly not least, Marsha Raus (Project Manager).