PUBLIC NOTICE FOR POSITIONS FILLED UNDER DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY (DHA) FOR:
Certain Competitive Service Positions covered by Section 9905
Opening and Closing Dates: 09/28 - 10/02
Position Title: Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
Full Performance Level: WG-10
Duty Location: Official Duty Station is the Ensley Engineer Yard
Hourly Salary Range: $25.58- $29.85
Work Schedule: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: Up to 3 to 4 months continuous per year
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Responsibilities/Duties: MAJOR DUTIES
Installs, repairs, and modifies air conditioning, refrigeration, cooling, heating, or climatic regulation equipment or systems such as those for offices, living quarters, shops, and warehouses. Also performs plumbing and pipefitting duties.
1. Repairs, services, installs, maintains, reconditions a variety of air conditioning, refrigeration, heat pumps and other climatic control equipment/systems. Performs equipment operation, reads and interprets blueprints, plans, and diagrams, and checks for system malfunctions.
2. Performs less complex plumbing duties such as unstopping clogged pipes or drains; adjusting or repairing leaky faucets and other outlets; bends pipe sections to desired curvature; assembles pipe sections; screws fittings; tighten pipes; and tests joints and pipe systems for leaks.
3. Performs Pipefitting duties in marine pipefitting incidental to major repair and modification of piping systems of plants such as towboats, dredges, quarter-boats, tenders, landing barges and fuel barges. Works with pipe including cast iron, galvanized, copper, brass, alloy, and extra heavy piping.
Schedule: During Daylight Savings Months, typically March through October, this position works four 10-hour days each week beginning on Mondays. During the rest of the year, the work week consists of five 8-hour days beginning on Mondays.
Conditions of Employment & Notes:
- This position is covered by the civilian drug abuse testing program. Incumbent is required to sign a da form 5019-R, "Condition of Employment for certain civilian positions identified as critical under the drug abuse testing program," or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- Must wear proper safety equipment when working in potentially hazardous situations; i.e., gloves, safety boots, goggles, hearing protection, life jackets, etc.
- May be required to serve up to 3 to 4 months continuous deployments per season. This could entail work away from home, on the river, or other places for 3 to 4 months straight, year after year.
- Must obtain and/or maintain a Forklift Operator's license.
- REQUIRED AT A MINIMUM TO BE EPA APPROVED AND CERTIFIED AS A TYPE UNIVERSAL TECHNICIAN AS REQUIRED BY 40 CFR PART 82, SUBPART F.
- Must possess certification per the Clean Air Act Section 608 required for technicians who maintain, service, repair, or dispose of equipment that could release ozone depleting refrigerants suggested in EPA Regulations 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F, into the atmosphere.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment and annual physical examination to ensure required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- Must pass physical examination and drug screening test.
- Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities.
- Two year probationary period is required.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume, must be readable [preferably .pdf]
- Via Email: to: Kevin.J.Woods@usace.army.mil, and copy Lauren.L.Beasley@usace.army.mil.
- Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Direct Hire of Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic, Plant Section, WG-5306
- Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 10/2/2020
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not contain a resume will not be considered.
Disclaimer: You are about to provide personal data. By completing this online application, you are authorizing the US Army Engineer Memphis District to use this data in the recruiting, application, and selection process